I came across a devotional booklet called “Our Daily Bread” (props to Shining Star church in VA). From the month of June, here are lines that stood out to me:
Some phrases are taken out of context, but your job is to think about the broader topic outlined in each bullet point.
Pick, choose and meditate from the rainbow.
- “The Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings” (MALACHI 4:2)
- Jesus said, “You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you” (John 15:3)
- It’s just that when they happen to us, we think they shouldn’t.
- When Polycarp (AD 69-155), who was bishop of the church at Smyrna, was asked by Roman authorities to curse Christ if he wanted to be released, he said, “Eighty-six years I have served Him, and He never did me wrong. How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?”
- Polycarp remained undaunted. Because he would not curse Christ, he was burned at the stake.
- Good behavior should always be an act of worship.
- When David later recalled what he knew rather than what he feared, his sense of loss turned into a song of praise (Ps. 13:5-6).
- If Paul had a business card, it would have identified him as an “apostle”.
- But if we are inflexible in our expectations of how God should work, we can run into trouble. In a crisis, we can make the mistake of shifting our focus from God to our painful circumstances.
- As Creator of the human race, God knows how human society will work best.
- God’s Word never returns void, but sometimes it is not until later that God’s words come to mind as we need them.
- Jesus taught more about money than any other topic.
- The more thoughts you have in your head as you swing, the less likely you are to be successful.
- Five days later, Ron showed up for his race wearing his dad’s hat, which he carefully set aside before his competition began.
- This means, that words don’t have to be many to be memorable.
- So, why did the Lord address fearful Gideon as a “mighty man of valor”? Because of who Gideon would one day become with the Lord’s help.
- Shall we accept the the good from God, but fuss when trials are in sight? Not if our love is focused on The One who always does what’s right.
- Doctrine tells us which road to travel; reproof tells us when we are off the road; correction tells us how to get back on; instruction in righteousness tells us how to stay on God’s road.
- There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God, a place where sin cannot molest, near to the heart of God.
- If we take care of our character, our reputation will take care of itself!
- If we depend on Christ for everything, we can endure anything.
- Tribulation is often the catalyst that produces perseverance, character, and finally, hope (Rom. 5:3-4).
- Until the day I was found, I didn’t know I was lost.
- Learning that they had spent so much time and energy searching for our family made me feel special.